St. Francis Center is currently accepting applications for the position of executive director.
Since 1972 the mission of St. Francis Center (SFC) is to feed, serve, and walk with the poor as a community of hope in the spirit of Saint Francis of Assisi. St. Francis Center seeks an Executive Director to be responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission, fundraising objectives, strategic planning, and services. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors President.
The ideal candidate has a personal mission of serving those in need and understands the importance of honoring the dignity of all people and offering hospitality to anyone regardless of their life circumstances. While candidates do not need to be Catholic, successful candidates will have deep personal understanding of Franciscan values. Experience with or knowledge of the Franciscan tradition, and a general awareness of the structure of the US Franciscans, is helpful but not required.
St. Francis Center seeks a leader who will bring vision and a strategic mind to the task of meeting basic needs in a city and a community where those needs are both highly visible and the subject of much attention. The ideal candidate has a track record of bringing multiple stakeholders—internal and external—to the table to create and implement innovative programs to meet the evolving needs of both clients and community. This individual understands the basics of the social policy landscape and how to work within the ecosystem to determine St. Francis Center’s most effective contribution.
The incoming Executive Director will have experience working closely with a board of directors to maximize its effectiveness in supporting the organization. With a facilitative style and a natural inclination toward collaboration, the ideal candidate is adept at managing change and fostering role clarity. Candidates must have experience supervising organizational leaders, with a track record of developing management and leadership capabilities from within. The ideal candidate inspires employees to high levels of performance and holds staff accountable to commitments and standards. A practical understanding of organizational development, as well as leadership of organizational finances, is essential.
The new Executive Director will be a proactive representative of St. Francis Center externally and internally, and be comfortable interacting regularly with guests, volunteers, and staff at all levels, as well as with the media and political leaders. The ideal candidate will be a practiced public speaker with a proven ability to shape public narrative and advocacy. Candidates must be comfortable providing leadership to and participating in fundraising activities, particularly managing relationships with long-standing and new major donors. Experience leading an organization through a capital campaign is strongly preferred.
1) Board Governance
- Responsible for leading bi-monthly board meetings and quarterly committee meetings in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of SFC
2) Financial Performance and Viability
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual balanced budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Manage annual operating budget of $1.2M
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support the organization’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy
- Responsible for implementation and growth of programs that carry out SFC’s mission.
- Responsible for future strategic planning to ensure that SFC can successfully fulfill its mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of SFC’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Serving as SFC’s primary spokesperson to its constituents, the media and the general public.
4) Organization Operations
- Responsible effective administration of all SFC operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Maintain positive work environment and culture within SFC.
- Work closely with management team to ensure effective communication and execution of SFC’s operations.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience, previous ED leadership a plus
- Knowledge of Los Angeles landscape, homeless communities and service providers preferred
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, and program development
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
- 4-Year Degree Required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range: $90K+ DOE
· 2% annual contribution to SIMPLE IRA
· Monthly cell phone stipend
· Mileage/Travel reimbursements
· 4.93 PTO hours per pay period
· 10 Paid Holidays
How To Apply
Provide cover letter and resume and address to:
James Mason, Board President: email@example.com